UNDP Recruitment 2019 for Field Security Associate
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Applicants for the UNDP Recruitment 2019. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
UNDP Recruitment 2019
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Security Adviser (SA) and Area Security Coordinator (ASC), the Local Security Assistant assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in Tamale, Ghana. The position is locally administered by UNDP but is financed centrally by the Cost Shared Security Budget
Duties And Responsibilities
- Assists the ASC/SA in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the ASC/SA;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the ASC, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at ASMT meetings, in the absence of the SA.
- Assists in maintaining the Area Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the general UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Area Security Plan and UN Security Plan, as required.
- Assists the ASC/SA in monitoring compliance with Security Risk Management Measures (SRM) established for the duty station. Also assists with the compilation of data required for the SRM.
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report, the Security Assessments and the Quarterly Incident Report.
- Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness, and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings, as required.
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the ASC/SA:
- Provides support in conducting security evaluations and provides advice on security
measures for the residences (Residential Security Measures-RSM) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences in the duty station;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
- Provides general administrative assistance to the ASC/SA:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity
Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Communication: Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education. University Degree desirable, but it is not a requirement
6 years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work.
Prior experience with the UN System or an International NGO is desirable.
Other Skills And Requirements
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security and protection is considered as an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
Fluency in English is required
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant Information About UNDP Rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.