If you wish to become a physician assistant in ghana or you are searching for schools in ghana offering physician assistantship, then you need to read this till the end.
Let start with what Physician Assistant is all about.
A Physician Assistant is a health care practitioner who practices medicine in collaboration with or under the (indirect) supervision of a physician.
In an official setting, a physician assistant is higher in rank than a nurse or an assistant in the medical field. They are particularly trained to work in a variety of health providing centres.
Physical Assistant Qualifications
As a physician assistant, you’re required to have an advanced education with some level of training in the medical field. Physician Assistantship as a course involves a lot of clinical rotations to prepare students for the very demanding and fast-paced job sector.
In order to start practising, graduates of the Physician Assistant program must pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE) and obtain a state license.
Schools Offering Physician Assistantship in Ghana
The following are the list of Schools in Ghana offering Physician Assistantship
1. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), offers BSc. Physician Assistantship. The degree is a 4-year program and below are the entry requirements for the Physician Assistantship program.
CREDITS in the THREE (3) Core Subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated
Science), and CREDIT passes in THREE (3) Elective subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Mathematics.
‘A’ Level Applicants
Five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level credits including English Language and Mathematics plus three (3) ‘A’ Level passes in Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Mathematics. Applicants must also have a pass in General Paper.
Applicants must be at least 25 years at the time of submitting the application.
EITHER FIVE (5) Credits at GCE ‘O’ Level including English Language and Mathematics.
WASSCE/SSSCE credit passes in THREE (3) Core Subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science) plus THREE (3) Elective subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Mathematics).
Bachelor degree holders in the Life Sciences (Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Medical
Laboratory Technology, Herbal Medicine and Sports and Exercise Science,) will be placed in year two (2) of the programme whilst applicants with BSc. Nursing will be placed in year three (3) of the programme after a successful interview. Successful applicants will be exempted from some courses already studied.
Mature applicants (aged 25 years and above) who are holders of diploma in Physiotherapy, Dental Assistantship, Medical Assistants, Laboratory Technician programme, Pharmacy Technician programme and the Registered General Nursing Diploma with at least three (3) years post qualification experience and a good pass at the diploma level may be admitted to the first year of the programme after a successful interview. Such candidates may also be required to satisfy the University’s general requirements for admission to degree programmes
2. Presbyterian University College
The Presbyterian University College offers a 4-year program leading to the award BSc Physician Assistant and is based at the Asante Akyem Campus, Agogo. Below are the entry requirements for the Physician Assistantship program
SSSCE and WASCE applicants
Must have an aggregate of 24 and above in 3 core subjects and 3 electives. Core subjects include Mathematics, English and Integrated Science while the electives must include 3 of Physics, Biology, or Chemistry and Mathematics.
Need to have five credits at the Ordinary level examination or any equivalent. Subjects include English, and Mathematics and a choice of Chemistry and Biology, Physics, Agricultural Science, or general Science and any other subject.
Should have additional passes at the GCE advanced level or an equivalent in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Biology or Agricultural Science.
Applicants with a diploma and advanced diploma
1. For admission to the 3rd year program, you should:
Be a diploma holder in Physician Assistantship with a minimum of B+ average or second class upper. Have 3 years’ working experience in addition to the basic WASSCE or SSSCE or O Level qualification.
2. The rest of the diploma candidates are admitted in the 2nd Year.
Must be nurses aged 25 years and above with certificates in SRN and RGN.
Must have 5 credits in 5 GCE O-levels or 6 passes in the WASSCE or SSSCE subjects including Science, Mathematics and English.
International students may be admitted on the basis of a qualification from their home country for which the West African Examinations Council shall determine equivalence. Evidence of proficiency in English will be required in the case of applicants from non-English speaking countries.
3. Pentecost University College
The Pentecost University College offers a 4-year programme leading to the award of BSc. Physician Assistantship Studies – Medical.
4. Radford University College Bachelor of Science in Physician Assistants
Radford University College also offers BSc in Physician Assistantship (PA) programme. Below are the admission requirements.
Senior secondary/high school certificate-Science Students
1. Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE, with aggregate 24 or better, (With credit in English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science and credit passes in three elective subjects in Science.
2. A pass in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSSCE) is understood to mean a candidate’s grades interpreted as follows:
3. Senior Secondary School candidates shall be admitted into level 100 (First Year) of the 4 year Bachelor of Science Degree in Physician Assistantship.
General Certificate of Education Examination (ordinary and advanced Levels) – Science Students
With passes or credits in at least five (5) subjects(including English Language, Mathematics and Science) at the GCE ordinary level and three (3) passes at the GCE Advanced Level. Two (2) of the advanced level passes must be grade “D” or better. A pass in General Paper must also be obtained.
Applicants who are 25 years and above working or having worked for 2 years or more can apply as mature candidates. Mature candidates will be required to write a university entrance examination in three papers: Mathematics, English and General Science equivalent to Senior Secondary/High School level. Only candidates with a pass mark of 60% or above in each of these papers will be admitted.
Foreign students must have their high school certificates/diplomas refer to the NAB for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission to tertiary institutions in Ghana. Qualifications in non-English languages translated into English with an accompanying statement showing how their system equates to the Ghanaian system.
5. Princefield College and Research
It is a medical and research-based university offering the Physician Assistant degree as well as a two-year post-qualification Bachelor of Surgery so that you can be a fully-recognized medical professional.
Entry requirements at the college:
1. Ghanaian applicants must have credit passes in 3 core subjects: English, Integrated Science and Mathematics, and three elective subjects which could be either three of Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and elective Mathematics.
2. Holders of GCE or IGCE Advanced level should have a minimum of C grade in Math and English and any other 3 subjects Math, Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
3. For candidates with more than 6 years since the above qualifications apply as mature candidates.
4. Diploma Holders in Physical Assistance, in registered General Nursing or community medicine from the Kintampo Rural Health Institute with a good pass and 3 years’ working experience will be admitted to level 300 to pursue a 4-semester BSc. program.
5. Applicants who have 3 years’ experience and are holders of a certificate (with a good) pass as state registered nurses will sit an entrance examination and attend a selection interview which would get them admitted at level 200 to pursue a 6-semester BSc. program.
6. For international applicants, the NAB will determine the equivalence of your foreign qualifications to Ghanaian qualifications.
7. Applicants may be subjected to an interview or an entrance examination
6. Central University College
The university is among the physician assistant training schools in Ghana. It offers a BSc. in Physician Assistantship. It is located near Dawhenya, Miotso in Tema, Mataheko Accra.
Entry requirements for physician assistantship program
- SSSCE with an aggregate score of 24 or higher in 3 core subjects, English, Math and Integrated Science and 3 electives in the options of Science, General Arts, Agricultural Science, and Home Economics.
- WASSCE with an aggregate of 36 or higher in the 3 core subjects and three electives as in the SSSCE.
- Candidates with a Diploma in registered nursing (RN) will be exempted from some courses. Those with State Registered Nurses Qualification (SRN) from recognized health institutions with a minimum of 3 years’ experience may also apply.
- Foreign students’ transcripts must be translated to English and must all be good in both verbal and written English language.
- All applicants will undergo an interview.
7. University of Health and Allied Sciences
It is one of the public physician assistant schools in Ghana, located in the Volta region in Ghana and offers a Physician Assistant degree program.
Entry requirements for the Physician Assistant program:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination: 6 passes with an aggregate of 24 or higher, comprising three core subjects and 3 electives which must include Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Math
- West African Senior Secondary School Certificate program: 6 passes with an aggregate of 24 or higher, comprising three core subjects and 3 electives which must include Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Math
- Senior registered nurses and medical assistants undertake the course in 3 years and 2 years respectively.
8. Mount Crest University College
It is a private higher education institution located in Kanda-Accra, with a branch in Larteh. It offers a BSc. in Physician Assistantship.
General entry requirements for a degree program:
- Must have credits in the four WASSCE or SSSCE core subjects: English, Mathematics, Social Studies and Integrated Science and credits in three SSSCE or WASSCE elective subjects.
- Mature applicants must be 25 years and above, with 5 or more passes at the CCE ‘O’ level or SSSCE or WASSCE. The 5 passes include English and Math
- The applicant must pass a selection interview.
- Transfer students who have undertaken the same program for one or two semesters in a recognized institution including Zenith College (External Degree LLB). They should provide an academic transcript from their previous university.
Other health-related courses offered: ( School of medical and health sciences)
- BSc. Health service Management or Public Health.
- MSc. Health Service Management or Public Health.
- Postal Address: Readwide Building, 12 Ablade Road, Kanda, Accra
- P.O BOX YK, 1408 Kanda, Accra, Ghana.
- Telephone 1: +233 302 937 219
- Telephone 2: +233 302 263 202
- Email: email@example.com
9. Garden City University College
The physical assistantship program has been offered at the Garden City University College since the start of the 2013/2014 academic year. It is located in Kumasi.
Entry requirements for the Physical Assistantship program:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination: 6 passes with an aggregate of 24 or higher. includes three core subjects and 3 electives which must include Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Math
- West African Senior Secondary school Certificate program: 6 passes with an aggregate of 24 or higher in three core subjects and 3 electives which must include Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Math
- Senior registered nurses and medical assistants undertake the course in 3 years and 2 years respectively.
10. College of Health Sciences, Kintampo
The college is located in Kintampo Ghana, on the Accra-Techiman-Tamale highway and was fully established in 1969. Its location makes it easily accessible to locals and internationals to major cities and towns. The college trains middle-level health professionals offering the course to the degree level.
The college is high-ranking, with a library, computer laboratory facilities, a conference hall as well as demonstration and syndicate rooms fullly-equipped with teaching and learning materials to enhance the learning experience. Below are the entry requirements
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination.
- West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)
- Nurses and Medical assistants receive course exemptions and complete the program in 2 and 3 years respectively.
- Students undertaking certificate courses are not required to have a C6 as their least grade.
11. Narh Bita College Physician Assistantship (Diploma)
The school was established in 2008 and offers a diploma program in Physical assistantship which goes for a duration of 3 years. It is located in Tema, Ghana.
Entry requirements for the assistantship program:
- An aggregate score of 24 or higher in 6 subjects in SSSCE, comprising 3 core subjects and 3 electives in pure Science.
- WASSCE certificate holders must have an aggregate of 36 or higher in 6 subjects comprising 3 core and 3 electives in pure sciences.
Minimum grades in core subjects:
- WASSCE: A1-C6, SSSCE: A-D
Minimum grade in elective subjects:
- WASSCE: A1-C6, SSSCE: A-D