The National Association of Local Authorities of Ghana (NALAG) is a nationwide organisation and the mouthpiece of all Local Authorities (Metropolitan, Municipal and Districts Assemblies – MMDAs) in Ghana.
In 1962, two separate associations (the National Association of Local Authorities and the Associations of City / Municipal Councils) existed to serve the interest of local councils in Ghana. On the 18th November, 1977 the two associations were merged and called the National Association of Local Councils (NALCO). The Association performed creditably, attracting government to fund it through subventions. Following the restructuring of the system of local government in the country in 1988 , and intune with international designation of local government , NALCO became NALAG.
NALAG continued to receive government subvention until 1998 when the Association voluntarily decided to opt out of it to give it the independence and autonomy to play its roles more effectively.
Principal Aims & Objectives
- Promote the development of Local government administration and decentralisation in Ghana through Advocacy and Lobbying.
- Protect the rights, privileges and interests of all member District Assemblies as may be affected by existing and future legislation or policies.
- Assist in maintaining high standards of Local government (Administration) service delivery.
- Provide a forum for discussion and exchange of ideas, experience and information on matters of mutual interest related to local government and decentralisation.
- Co-operate with other bodies and agencies both national and international with identical objectives for the promotion of effective and efficient government service delivery.
- Do all such other lawful things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objective of the association.
Mechanisms for Achieving Its Aims
NALAG works to achieve its objectives through
- Advocacy and Lobbying.
- Training and Capacity Building Activities.
- Organisation of fora/platforms for good governance, leadership and best practices.
- Research and Development.
- Networking and Collaboration work.
- Public Education.
- Direct Support to District Assemblies.
- Facilitating City to City Links
email:firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel: (+233)(0)302544374 / (+233)(0)302544349 – P.O.Box:1953 Accra-Ghana , Location: Okponglo (Near Gulf House) South Legon, Adjacent GS PLAZA HOTEL
See more Post about: