Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) Fellowships 2019 at The University of Ghana
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) Fellowships 2019 at The University of Ghana… Interested apps and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) Fellowships 2019
In its first call for short-term fellowships MIASA welcomes applications from excellent researchers to join the interdisciplinary fellow group (IFG) “Parliaments and Democracy in Africa” from September to December 2019.
- Type: Fellowship, Research
- Eligible Countries: African countries, Germany
- Duration of Programme: 4 months from September to December 2019.
- Value of Award: See Below
- Number of Awards: 10
- To be taken at (country): —
Programme Description: The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is dedicated to the topic of ‘Sustainable Governance’.
MIASA’s three research foci are: sustainable environmental transformation, sustainable conflict management, and sustainable democracy.
IFGs bring together a group of up to ten fellows for a duration of four months. The group comprises both senior and junior fellows including researchers from Germany, Africa and the rest of the world. The group centers around a research question which necessitates the input of experts from different academic fields and backgrounds.
The group will work on the joint topic by, among other things, holding weekly colloquia and organizing a workshop. The group will be asked to produce a publication summing up the results of their work.
The IFG topic: African parliaments may not be inclusive and representative enough to provide for a sustainable democracy. Additionally, their relative political weight is often low, compared with the executive branch of government. The aim of this IFG is to investigate and compare the attributes and behaviour of parliaments in African countries with different democratic credentials.
Eligible for application are junior and senior researchers from all countries after completion of their PhD in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences. Applicants must propose a research project that matches the research focus of the IFG on “Parliaments and Democracy in Africa”.
Selection Criteria: All fellowships will be awarded to individuals of top academic quality with innovative and high-quality research projects that fit with the IFG focus on parliaments and democracy in Africa, and will be selected through a highly competitive, strictly merit-based selection process.
Value of Award:
- The successful applicants will become MIASA Fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period.
- The fellow’s salary costs will be met by MIASA on the principle of “no loss, no gain” and paid directly to their home institution Furthermore, all fellows will receive a monthly allowance of 400 €. MIASA will provide accommodation and reimburse travel costs. MIASA will provide a research cost contribution of 150 € per fellow per month which is pooled on the fellow group level and will be spent as determined by the group convenor.
- The Institute provides its fellows with modern office space and an up-to-date infrastructure. Fellows have full access to all library services.
- Full-time presence at MIASA is expected of all fellows.
Application Form – How to Apply:
The completed application form together with the required documents has to be uploaded on the application webpage (https://frias.wufoo.com/forms/miasa-fellowships-ifg-parliaments-and-democracy)
and submitted by November 30, 2018; 24.00 h CET
Application Deadline: 30th November 2018, 24 h CET
For More Information:
Click Here to the Official Webpage of Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) Fellowships 2019 at University of Ghana for more information.