Innovations for Poverty Action Recruitment 2019 for Medical Laboratory Professional x2
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Applicants for the Innovations for Poverty Action Recruitment 2019. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Innovations for Poverty Action Recruitment 2019
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a United States-based non-profit organization dedicated to discovering, and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor.
- Reports to: Biomedical Consultant
- Location: Volta Region (Kpando and South Dayi) & Central Region (Mfantsiman and Ekumfi)
- Length of Commitment: 2 – 3 weeks
- Desired start date: Early May (1st week)
- Deadline to apply: 29th March, 2019
- Job Code: MLS-TIF-27022019
IPA seeks qualified candidates to occupy the position of Medical Laboratory Professional for a maximum period of 3 weeks to work on the Invisible Fishers Endline project. The work of the medical laboratory professional will form part of the Endline of an impact evaluation interventions aimed at empowering and safeguarding women in fisheries value chains in Ghana to reduce anemia. The primary objective of this research is to “develop, adapt, and pilot test a set of interventions into fisheries value chains in Ghana aimed at mitigating anemia among women”. This pilot study is being carried out in two regions in Ghana — the Central and Volta Regions.
The medical laboratory professional will support data collection as part of an Endline survey that will be conducted among respondents in the study communities and would require frequent travel to remote field locations in these 2 regions.
The Medical Laboratory Professional will work closely with the Biomedical Consultant and Research Associate to implement field based data collection activities. The Medical Laboratory Professional will perform the following tasks:
- Provide the required education and guidance to respondents and thus obtain informed consent;
- Collect blood, fecal and urine samples in accordance with professional and ethical standards;
- Properly store and transport samples collected as per pre-approved conditions;
- Conduct blood test for malaria (RDT);
- Take height/weight measurements of respondents;
- Measure waist and hip circumference of respondents;
- Ensure that measurements are accurately recorded and entered electronically;
- Ensure that all samples and research data are stored in a safe and confidential location;
- Take proper care of all equipment and consumables entrusted to them;
- Adhere to all IPA survey protocols;
- Contact the Biomedical Consultant/Research Associate at any time with questions or concerns;
- Promptly respond to contact from the IPA Research Manager, Research Associate or other IPA staff;
- Be responsible for maintaining good relations with IPA, its employees, partner organizations and project participants;
- Perform other work-related duties that may be assigned.
Required Skills or Experience
- Must have a certificate or diploma in medical laboratory technology with experience in phlebotomy, parasitology or a related field;
- Must have the right certification (license) or authorization to take blood samples;
- Must demonstrate some level of experience in working in a health facility;
- Fluency in English; spoken proficiency in Fante/Twi or Ewe preferred;
- Experience performing a similar role in any of the project locations is a plus;
- Excellent management, communication and organizational skills.
How to Apply
- To apply, please fill out the online application form by clicking the link below: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4870061/IPAG-TIF-Medical-Laboratory-Professional-Application-Form-19
- Please take note of the following instructions:
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until suitable candidates are found.
- A CV is required to complete the application form.
- Incomplete applications or applications not submitted through the web-form will not be considered.
- Due to high volume of applications received, IPA will only contact shortlisted candidates.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that IPA will never require monetary compensation as part of its application process. Any requests for monetary compensation by persons claiming to be IPA employees or persons claiming to represent IPA should be disregarded and reported. Please direct questions to jo[email protected].