Applications are open for interested and suitably qualified female candidates for Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program 2019.
The Government of Ghana has received a grant from the Millennium Challenge Corporation (“MCC”), a United States Government Agency. MCC entered into a Millennium Challenge Compact with the Government of Ghana on August 5, 2014, under which MCC will provide funding for the implementation of the Ghana Power Compact Programme. The Millennium Development Authority (MiDA), designated as the Accountable Entity, is responsible for the management of the funds and implementation of the Compact Programme.
Under the ECG Financial and Operational Turnaround (EFOT) Project, one of six Projects comprising the Ghana Power Compact, is the Modernising Utilities Operations Activity. A sub-activity under this is the Institutionalizing Gender Re- sponsiveness in Power Utilities, which seeks to address some of the challenges and gender inequalities in Ghana’s Energy Sector. MiDA has initiated the Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program to prepare female Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) students in Tertiary and second cycle institutions for careers in the Energy sector through Internship and Mentoring activities.
About the Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program
The Ghana Power Compact Internship & Mentoring Program seeks to support female students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields to:
- gain practical skills relevant for the job market in energy sector;
- build their confidence and improve their coping skills to deal with stereotypes about, and negative attitudes towards women in STEM, and
- strengthen networking for employment
From 2019-2021, the program will support a minimum of 200 female STEM stu- dents each year to undergo a two-month Internship and Mentoring program with Energy sector organizations in both public and private institutions. The program is scheduled for the long vacation, starting from June to mid-August every year. MiDA implements the program through strong collaboration and partnerships with public, private and civil society organisations. Program beneficiaries will re- ceive protective equipment/clothing, medical and accident insurance and a stipend disbursed monthly for the two months enrolled in the programme. The Program does not provide accommodation for Interns.
The components of the Program are as follows:
- orientation program
- capacity building workshop on leadership and other soft-skills
- practical and hands-on skills training under dedicated Supervisors
- mentoring sessions led by professional bodies and associations in STEM
- monitoring visits by MiDA and Education institutions to assess interns’ progress and challenges at the workplace
- intern reflection session and closing ceremony of the Internship and Mentoring Programme
- bi-annual group mentoring session for GPCIMP Alumni
MiDA is hereby requesting applications from suitable candidates for the programs listed in the table below.
Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program Eligibility
The 2019 Program is open to Ghanaian female students in public Universities, Technical Universities, Polytechnics, and Technical/ Vocational schools pursuing the programs listed below:
Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program Requirements
Applicant should be:
- third (3rd) year undergraduate students at universities or Second (2nd) year students enrolled in HND, Diploma or Certificate programs;
- eighteen (18) years or above by May 31, 2019;
- able to demonstrate leadership skills, good interpersonal and communication skills;
- willing to learn, and committed to delivering results;
- interested in pursuing a career in the STEM field, particularly in the energy
Successful applicants will work with Government institutions or private sector com- panies predominantly in the Energy sector across Ghana. Postings will be subject to qualification and proximity to Placement Organisation.
How to Apply for Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program
Interested candidates should send an application with the following:
- A Curriculum vitae (CV) stating your qualification, experience and contact details of two referees
- A letter outlining your personal and career goals and how the program will enable you to achieve them
- State your Grade Point Average (GPA) or Cumulative Weighted Average (CWA) and indicate your preferred location for the Internship (refer to table below)
- Provide your contact phone number(s) and email address by which MiDA can easily reach
Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program Application Deadline
Interested Applicants should send their application to [email protected], no later than 5:00 p.m., March 29, 2019. You may contact Ellen Dzah (0541 722 994) or Martha Ofori (024131367 for clarification on the application process.
Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentoring Program Selection Process
Selection process may include interviews. All shortlisted Candidates will be notified by email. If you are not contacted by the close of business on April 17, 2019 then you have not been shortlisted.
For more information on the Ghana Power Compact Internship and Mentor- ing Program, visit: www.mida.gov.gh
@GIMPgh on Facebook and Twitter
Contact: Director GSI, Millennium Development Authority (MiDA) 4th Floor, Heritage Tower, 6th Avenue, Ambassadorial Enclave, Ridge West, Accra.
Placement Location for each Program
1. Electrical/Electronic Engineering
|Accra, Tema, Akosombo, Akuse, Takoradi, Kumasi, Techiman, Wa, Sunyani, Berekum, Mim, Wenchi, Akomadan, Tamale, Salaga, Bimbilla, Bongo Navrongo, Tumu, Nadoli, Bolgatanga, ECG Regional and District Offices|
|2. Mechanical Engineering||Accra, Tema Takoradi, Techiman|
|3. Civil Engineering||Tamale|
|4. Chemical Engineering||Tema|
|5. Petrochemical Engineering||Tema|
|6. Computer Engineering||Accra|
|7. Metallurgical Engineering||Accra, Ahafo, New Abirem|
|8. Geological Engineering||Tema Tarkwa, Damang,|
|9. Mining /Mineral Engineering||Accra, Ahafo, New Abirem|
|10. Renewable Energy /Engineering||Accra|
|11. Statistics||Accra, Tema|
|12. Information Technology||Accra|
|14. Health, Safety & Environment / Environ mental Studies||Tema ,Accra|
|15. Computer Science||Accra|
See more Post about: